Monday, November 1, 2010

Concept map




I had a difficult time trying to figure out what type of concept map to make. I kept thinking back from when I was in elementary school to see if there were any concepts, which could be described through a concept map. In the end, used a topic from the classroom that I am tutoring in right now. My concept map shows the three types of burns. There are 1st degree burns, 2nd degree burns as well as 3rd degree burns. If someone were to get a 1st degree burn, they would have a sunburn. The burn takes place on the top level of the skin, which is the epidermis. This burn is the least harmful. Another type of burn is a 2nd degree burn. This burn breaks through the epidermis into the next layer of skin, which is the dermis. This burn will make the skin blister, turn red and it will be painful. The last type of burn is a 3rd degree burn. This burn is the most serious. It destroys both the epidermis and the dermis. There are no blood vessels left once a 3rd degree burn occurs. This concept map is simple but is used for more advanced students.

1 comment:

  1. Your concept map is very unique and interesting, never in my life would I have thought to express 1,2,3 degree burns in a concept map. I really enjoy how neat and easy your concept map is to read and how you level each type of burn. You go the extra mile when you describe what each burn is, I really find this helpful especially if a student is unaware the types of burns out there. However the think I really like about your post is your ability to reflect on the past. You say when trying to find inspiration to develop a concept map you looked back to your elementary school days. I think this is great especially because the University of Hartford is developing us as reflective practitioners

    ReplyDelete